No one wants to suffer a loss but, if it happens, here are some guidelines to follow:
- First, contact your agent or broker. They will assist you in filing your claim.
- If your agent or broker is not available, you can contact us from anywhere in Canada or the Continental United States using our toll-free:
- 24-hour claims response line at 1-800-268-3069.
- This number is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- If you have suffered a loss, please contact us by telephone for prompt claims service. To ensure personal service of your needs, we ask that you do not contact us by email.
Information that you should have available for an automobile loss
- Names, addresses, telephone numbers, insurance companies and policy numbers of all parties involved
- Name, badge number and police force of investigating officer(s), if reported to police
- Addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses
- Address and telephone number of the location of your vehicle, if towed
Insurance crime is estimated to cost Canadians several billions of dollars a year in insurance premiums and health care, emergency services and court costs. Sometimes it’s the work of organized groups or gangs that stage collisions or coordinate the shipping of stolen vehicles overseas.
Here are some red flags that could suggest a staged collision:
- A low-speed impact with little damage to the vehicles involved and multiple occupants in each vehicle claiming soft tissue injuries.
- An auto-insurance policy that was recently issued.
- Conflicting descriptions by those at the scene about how the accident took place.
- A tow truck is almost immediately on the spot.
- Someone at the scene suggests a repair facility, clinic or other service provider.
Information that you should have available for a property loss
- Address and telephone number where you can be contacted
- Details of the claim
- Your policy number