At Peel Mutual Insurance Company, we strive to meet all of our obligations to our policyholders. As a policyholder, you own the company and it is important to us to provide you promptly with the insurance protection which you purchased.
If you are not satisfied with any aspect of your dealings with us, and wish to have your issue(s) resolved, Peel Mutual offers a formal Complaint Resolution Process.
To ensure that your complaint is handled as efficiently and as fairly as possible, you are required to follow the steps in Peel Mutual’s Complaint Resolution Process:
- Start at the Source: Speak with your broker/agent, or claim(s) adjuster and let them know what you’re concerned about. In most instances, these individual can help you resolve your concerns.
- Escalate to a Manager: If the outcome of your discussion with your broker/agent, or claim(s) adjuster is not satisfactory, ask to speak to a Peel Mutual Manager to escalate the complaint. Or, discuss the escalation with your broker who can enact this step on your behalf.
- Request a Business Position: If the discussion with a Manager is still not satisfactory, you can request a Business Position from the Manager. The Business Position will come in the form of a letter or email and indicate the outcome of your complaint.
- Escalate to the Ombudsman: Contact the Ombudsman per the instructions below and provide any useful information to assist in the investigation of your complaint. The Ombudsman will review your complaint within ten (10) business days of receipt and will provide a final position reply from Peel Mutual Insurance in writing within thirty (30) days of receipt.
Please note that the above complaint handling protocol does not apply to any situation involving litigation by the policyholder against Peel Mutual Insurance or where the policyholder has retained counsel/legal assistance in that regard.
Peel Mutual Insurance Company is an Ontario licensed insurance company, regulated by Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO). We follow the established protocol of having an employee of Peel Mutual serve the role of Ombudsman. The Peel Mutual Ombudsman is the Vice President, Human Resources, Matt LeMaire. In an effort to expedite the investigation of your complaint, please complete the Ombudsman Escalation Request Form and submit it along with your request. Complaints filed without a completed Escalation Request Form will be asked to complete the form and resubmit their complaint. The Ombudsman can be reached via:
- By phone: 905-451-2386 or 1-800-268-3069
- By fax: 905-459-7619
- By mail or courier: 103 Queen Street West, Brampton, ON L6Y 1M3
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The role of the Ombudsman is to review your complaint and attempt to resolve it in a manner that is fair to you and the organization. Upon completion of any investigation by the Ombudsman, you will receive a written response based upon the Ombudsman’s findings as per above.
If this is not to your satisfaction, contact The Financial Service Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA):
- By letter:
Financial Service Regulatory Authority of Ontario
25 Sheppard Avenue West Suite 100
Toronto, ON M2N 6S6
- Telephone: 416-250-7250
- Toll Free: 1-800-668-0128
- Email: email@example.com
- Online Submission: https://www.fsrao.ca/ask-question-file-complaint-or-report-fraud
The Insurance Ombudsman will conduct its own review and, upon completion, send you a written report. This report is not binding on either party and, if you wish, you have the option of taking legal action against us.
This process does not deal with disputes about entitlement to, or the amount of, no-fault automobile accident benefits.