Following proposal meetings held in the Society of Friends Hall in Claireville and having the signatures of upwards of one hundred property holders desirous of placing insurance with the proposed company, The County of Peel Farmers’ Mutual Fire Insurance Company came into being by special Statute of Upper Canada, following a meeting called on April 28th, 1876 for the purpose of electing directors. Fifteen directors were elected representing the different townships of the County of Peel.
It is believed that the meetings held in the Claireville Hall were joint meetings of interested persons from the Counties of York and Peel, with the intention of forming one company. However, a decision was finally reached to form a company in each county. This is actually what took place, but the York County Farmers’ Mutual, after a few years of operation, ceased business and a large number of farmers in that area became policyholders of the Peel County company.
The first directors were Messrs. D. W. Garbutt, Samuel Pearson, Luther Cheyne, Eli Crawford, Richard Hamilton, John S. Leslie, Robert Young, Robert Clarkson, James Newlove, J. M. Vance, Thomas Hanton, Archibald Frank, John Lamont, Francis Sleightholm and William Porter. Immediately following the election of directors, they met and elected Francis Sleightholm as President, Thomas Hanton as Vice-President; Mr. Luther Cheyne resigned as a Director and was appointed Secretary and Mr. John S. Leslie was appointed Treasurer. Mr. W. J. Oliver was chosen by the directors to fill the vacancy on the board by the resignation of Luther Cheyne.
Mr. John S. Leslie held the position of Treasurer until the end of the year 1885, and following the Annual Meeting in January of 1886, Mr. D. Kirkwood was appointed Treasurer. He held that position until December 1918. At the January meeting following, Mr. J. J. Stewart assumed the dual office of Secretary/Treasurer.
From that foundation, Peel Mutual Insurance Company has grown to be one of the largest mutual insurance companies in Ontario and is proud to be a member of the Ontario Mutual Insurance Association. The office has always been located in Brampton, Ontario. From its original basis of Peel County, the company has grown to serve a wide area of Central Ontario. Our primary goal has always been to provide financial security through sound insurance products. Our board of directors, today as when we were founded, are policyholders representing your interests. We are proud of our heritage as we progress through this millennium, stronger for you.