Property Claims

How to Report Your Claim

General information on water damage

If you experience damage to your home from water that escapes from sources like the plumbing, hot water heater, dishwasher, sump hole and floor drain / or sump pump, the following information may be helpful:

  • Water typically spreads out and flows towards substructures (wood sub-floor, joists, etc.) and lower floors.
  • The extent of damage that water can cause to your home depends upon the volume and spread of water, the kind of materials affected and the source of the water.
  • Some water carries contaminants and should be considered hazardous (sewage water).
  • Porous materials, whether wood, drywall or other building materials will soak up water.
  • The resulting effects on contents like furniture and home finishes such as flooring, drywall or other building materials can include discolouration, swelling, detached adhesive bonds, delaminating, warping and a musty odour.

What to do in case of water damage

  • Turn the water off at the main water shut-off valve to stop the flow of water if the water escape is from a water supply line or other appliance.
  • Do not enter a room with standing water until electricity is turned off, particularly when electrical appliances are standing in the water.
  • If you can, move your contents away from the affected areas.
  • Open drawers, closet and cabinet doors to enhance drying.
  • Avoid coming into contact with flood and sewage contaminated water.
  • Minimize the water damage to your property by contacting Peel Mutual or a qualified water damage restoration contractor directly to ensure proper emergency measures to remove standing water and to commence drying of your dwelling within 48-hours of it happening.
  • Know that even if water evaporates unassisted, it can cause damage to ceilings, walls and contents.
  • Know that when the water damage is caused by an insured peril, your insurance policy provides coverage for the repairs to your dwelling finishes and contents affected by the water but not for repairing or replacing the appliance or plumbing line that the water escaped from.

What to expect in a water damage claim

  • Contact your broker as soon as possible after the incident occurs. Your broker will forward your claim to Peel Mutual and it will be assigned to one of our claims representatives.
  • Our claims representative will contact you promptly to obtain the details of your loss and provide assistance with emergency services, repairs or replacement of damaged property, and any other advice you may require.
  • The claims representative will offer emergency assistance by dispatching a qualified restoration contractor.
  • The restoration contractor will contact you and arrange a time to meet you at your home.
  • The focus of the claims representative and the restoration contractor will be to work with you to identify the source of the water escape, assess the scope of damage from the water and perform emergency services.
  • In order to assess the necessary emergency services the restoration contractor will take moisture readings of the air inside and outside your home as well as moisture content readings of materials both directly affected by water and materials not affected by water. This is done to determine the amount of equipment needed to dry your home.
  • The restoration contractor will explain what emergency services they will do and why, what you should and should not do, and ask you to sign an Authorization Form before work can begin.
  • Ultimately it is your home, and only you can authorize the repairs to be completed by a restoration contractor of your choice.
  • Typically emergency work includes extracting all standing water, protecting contents and adjacent rooms, treating areas to prevent bacterial growth, and strategically setting high-velocity air movers and dehumidifiers to remove the excess moisture from the air and materials.
  • The goal of the emergency service is to dry your home back to normal moisture levels as quickly as possible in a controlled manner. The drying process usually takes three (3) to five (5) days.
  • The restoration contractor will inspect your home during the drying process to monitor the progress and reposition or remove drying equipment as needed.
  • If applicable, the cost of repairs to drywall, ceilings, and floors are included as part of your claim. These costs will be reviewed with you by the Claims Adjuster so that you can decide when, how and who you want to complete the repairs or replacement.
  • If you do not know or have anyone in mind to complete the repairs Peel Mutual has a list of reputable restoration contractors that could complete the work.
  • We encourage you to use one of our recommended restoration contractors to complete the repairs. Ultimately the choice is yours as to which contractor you would like to use.
  • Sometimes contents can be successfully restored to the condition prior to the loss occurring, and sometimes contents cannot be restored. The Adjuster will work with you in completing a list of damaged contents and help you determine the current replacement values.
  • Once all the details about the repairs to your dwelling and contents are obtained our Adjuster will contact you to discuss the claims settlement process.

What to do in case of burglary or theft

  • Report the burglary and theft incident to police. The police will either come to your home or record the details of the occurrence over the phone.
  • Record the name of the police officer who took the report or came to your house. Also record the incident occurrence report number assigned by the police so that you and the claims representative can reference the occurrence number when corresponding with the police.
  • Expect the police to ask for a complete list of any stolen contents together with an approximate value for each item.
  • Determine where and how the thieves got into your home and if necessary arrange for temporary repairs to secure a broken door or window etc.
  • Contact your broker as soon as possible. Your broker will provide you with assistance and initial advice on what to do before reporting your claim to Peel Mutual.
  • Ensure that you do not destroy or move evidence before calling the police; they may wish to inspect your home and take fingerprints.
  • Do not dispose of damaged property without first checking with your broker and Peel Mutual claims representative.

What to expect in a burglary or theft claim

  • Our claims representative will contact you, obtain the details of the loss over the phone, explain the claims process and answer any questions you may have.
  • If you require emergency repair service the claims representative can dispatch a qualified restoration contractor to temporarily secure damaged entry points like a door or window or clean up broken glass or other damage from the break-in.
  • The restoration contractor will contact you and arrange a time to meet you at your home. An estimate for repairs is prepared by the contractor for approval and you will be asked to decide who you would like to repair the damage to your home.
  • The claims representative may also assign a field adjuster to come to your home to inspect any damage, obtain loss details from you, and document where the contents were located in your home when they were stolen.
  • Like the police, the claims representative will want to know exactly what was stolen and will ask for the details about the stolen items being claimed such as age, where purchased, and make and model number.
  • You will be asked to supply reasonable documentation where possible about the stolen property. Reasonable documentation includes original purchase receipts, warranty cards, owner manuals, appraisals, old repair invoices and photographs.
  • The details gathered about the items being claimed help us to ensure that the current replacement values are accurately determined.
  • Once all the details about the repairs to your home and current replacement values for stolen contents are obtained our claims representative will contact you to discuss the claims settlement process.
"...the Inspector spoke to both Tom and I about the oil tank. What a difference in inspection!! She actually EXPLAINS things so that you can understand. She was very professional, yet personable as well. We are VERY pleased to have switched insurance companies. We only ask ourselves - Why didn't we do it sooner!!!"


Insurance and loss prevention go hand in hand. We are owned by our policyholders and our primary goal is to help our policyholders. Loss prevention is an important part of that help.

Sump Pumps

Sump Pumps

One primary cause of loss is sump pump malfunction. The sump pump is an inexpensive piece of equipment that has to do a lot of work. It is also too often ignored. Like any electrical apparatus, it will eventually lose its source of power or it will fail. Do you have a backup plan if this happens? Some suggestions to address the inevitable problem of sump pump failure are:

  • Have a spare sump pump available.
  • Have a generator in case the power supply fails.
  • If you do have the unfortunate occasion of water coming into your basement because of sump pump malfunction, determine what the problem was and take measures to prevent it from happening again. It might be that the pump just could not keep up with the flow of water and that might require some changes to the drainage patterns of your home.
  • It is important to address any problems before they happen once and certainly before they happen twice.