Auto Claims

How to Report Your Claim

What Should I Do After an Automobile Accident?

  1. Assess the Scene
    • Do not leave the scene of an accident
    • If safe to do so, move your vehicle out of the way, to the side of the road if possible. Be careful when exiting your vehicle so that you do not get hit.
    • You must call the police if:
      • The damages exceed $1,000
      • There are injuries
      • If you suspect the other drivers are guilty of a criminal offense (impaired driving)
      • If there is damage to any property (trees, shrubs, pole or other property on a highway)
    • If you are not sure of the extent of the damages, contact your local police for guidance.
  2. Assess the injuries
    • If anyone is injured in the accident, check their welfare, and make them comfortable prior to emergency services arriving.
    • Do not move anyone who is injured as this may aggravate their injuries.
  3. Gather Information
    • Take notes at the scene that include details of the accident, identification of the vehicles involved and names, addresses, and phone numbers of all people involved (including passengers and witnesses).
    • Write down the insurance companies and policy numbers for all vehicles involved.
    • Take the names and badge numbers of police and any other emergency personnel involved.
    • If possible take photos of the damaged vehicles and of the scene (if safe to do so).
    • Do not discuss responsibility for the accident with anyone except the police.
  4. Arrange towing
    • If your car is not drivable and a tow is required, it is YOUR choice as to who tows your car. It is suggested that you do not sign any document relating to repairs until a Peel Mutual Insurance representative has inspected your car. If you feel pressured, have your vehicle towed to a Collision Reporting Centre or your driveway until you can talk to your broker or Peel Mutual Claims representative.
  5. Report your claim
    • Contact your broker as soon as possible after the accident to report the claim. Your broker will forward your claim to Peel Mutual and it will be assigned to one of our claim representatives.
    • If your claim is an emergency, contact our 24/7 Emergency Claims Service Line at 1-800-268-3069 to report your claim. A claims representative will provide you with any assistance you may need.

Step-by-Step Guide to the Claims Process

What to expect when your claim is reported to Peel Mutual Insurance:

  1. Your claim will be assigned to one of our claims representatives, who will contact you after receiving your claim notice from your broker.
  2. Our claim representative will obtain details of your loss to determine who is at fault, if a deductible applies and if anyone was injured. Fault is determined by the government regulated “Fault Determination Rules” (view in detail at ServiceOntario e-Laws).
  3. We will provide assistance with a repair facility and car rental (eligibility required). This will take approximately 20 minutes of your time.
  4. If you, other passengers in your vehicle or parties in another vehicle are injured, we will take your information and a Peel Mutual claim representative will provide assistance to you.
  5. Once we obtain your initial information, your vehicle will be inspected at your chosen repair facility. It is not necessary to obtain vehicle estimates as most body shops can provide an estimate and digital photos that can be reviewed by a Peel Mutual appraiser.
  6. Once the estimate is authorized by a Peel Mutual representative, you will be required to provide authorization to the body shop which allows them to start the repairs. If a deductible is owed based on the facts of your loss, it is paid to the body shop after the repairs are completed.
"...quick note of thanks for the service our clients received on their claim. Our client stopped in to say Thank you and the service was all they could ask for."
Ken .O (Broker)


Insurance and loss prevention go hand in hand. We are owned by our policyholders and our primary goal is to help our policyholders. Loss prevention is an important part of that help.



In addition to the rain we receive, and sometimes even the snow, Mother Nature occasionally gives us a light and sound show in the form of lightning and thunder. Each year, lightning strikes cause damage to telephones, television sets, computers and other electronic devices. With more homes acquiring expensive computers and home theatre equipment, lightning is responsible for greater numbers of claims and greater claim values.

You can do something to prevent lightning from damaging your computers, televisions and other high-end electronic equipment. A good quality “power bar” will provide both lightning and surge protection. Surge protection is different than lightning protection. Many power bars provide surge protection but not lightning protection. Be sure to read the information about a product before you buy. Another option is a “UPS” or Uninterruptible Power Supply. In addition to providing both lightning and surge suppression, these devices regulate the power in a brownout or blackout. Your computer equipment may or may not be covered under your insurance policy for damage caused by voltage fluctuation (consult with your Agent or Broker if you’re not sure), but your data will not be. A UPS, properly sized for your equipment, will allow you to safely save your data and shut down your computer during a power outage.

If you have electronic equipment you’d like to protect, consult with your local electronic or computer shop for details about power protection devices. A good-quality power bar could cost $30 or $40. Without one, a lightning strike could cost you your deductible – $300 or more.